Let's face it: With the birth of my first child in 1991, I totally missed the emergence of the grunge era. I'm not exactly sure how that happened, considering my musical life wasn't really filled with the themes from Barney and Lamb Chop & Friends... and of course Top 40 was never my style, so I found myself at a loss for what to listen to.
Fast forward ten years or so, and I'm really itching to progress musically. If not for the radio-friendliness of Incubus' "Drive", I really believe I would never have discovered anything from the decade I had missed. And it wasn't just grunge: industrial, wow! Now here was a style I could sink my teeth into. It was like new wave and electronic had Rosemary's baby. Oh, and don't even get me started on the goth stuff...
Basically any style that had the word "metal" appended to it caught my ear at this point. Nu-metal, alt-metal, goth-metal... even rap-metal was palatable. So of course I needed a collection of my faves of these "new" genres, as I played catch-up of my missed decade. And being a classical pianist at heart, there were still songs I gravitated to that didn't fall into those harsher and darker styles, hence the "mostly" part of this mix.
EGR Metal… Mostly….
1. Clocks - Coldplay [A Rush of Blood to the Head]
2. The Package - A Perfect Circle [Thirteenth Step]
3. Fell on Black Days - Soundgarden [Superunknown]
4. Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana [In Utero]
5. Junkhead - Alice in Chains [Dirt]
6. Wicked Garden - Stone Temple Pilots [Core]
7. Careful With That Mic - Clutch [Pure Rock Fury]
8. You Will Be a Hot Dancer - Incubus [Enjoy Incubus]
9. Never Gonna Stop (The Red, Red Kroovy) - Rob Zombie [The Sinister Urge]
10. Organizized - Powerman 5000 [Mega!! Kung Fu Radio]
11. Head Like a Hole - Nine Inch Nails [Pretty Hate Machine]
12. The Best Things - Filter [Title of Record]
13. Now - Taproot [Welcome]
14. This Is Not - Static-X [Machine]
15. Some Kind of Monster - Metallica [St. Anger]
16. Voodoo - Godsmack [Godsmack]